I heart this recipe. It is so easy and all the ingredients are just perfect together. It’s also incredibly nutritious. I love when that happens!
It’s not a Paleo recipe, but you could make it Paleo by omitting the black beans. You could also add more/different veggies to pump it up even more if you’d like. Here’s what I used:
Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Black Bean Salsa
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can of sweet corn (drained and rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp of salsa (I sort of eyeballed this)
- chopped cilantro to tase (eyeballed this too. I love cilantro so the more the merrier!)
Ground Taco Meat
- 1 lb. ground meat of choice (I’ve used turkey before but this time used elk)
- taco seasoning (I used store bought, but of course you could make your own!)
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes, rinsed, pierced with a knife, rubbed in olive oil, and covered in foil
Okay. This might seem like there is a lot going on but this is actually a really easy recipe.
I like to cook my sweet potatoes in the oven so I get those going first. I baked them for about 45 minutes at 425 degrees (I usually just check them off and on with a knife to make sure they’re done). You could definitely microwave them though if you’re in a rush!
While the sweet potatoes were cooking, I made the salsa. I just poured all the black bean salsa ingredients in a bowl, mixed thoroughly, and refrigerated while the meat cooked.
Next up was the meat!! I cooked this in a pan on the stove then added the taco seasoning once the meat was no longer pink.
Once the sweet potatoes were done, I cut them open, added the taco meat, then the salsa on top (and extra cilantro because it’s awesome). That’s it!
I served it with roasted cauliflower-tasty!
This is such a great meal for weeknights when you’re not in the mood to cook or too busy. It’s quick, filling, and healthy!