Wow, today was a productive day! I was highly caffeinated and ready to take on Christmas! First thing was finishing and mailing all of our Christmas cards-done and done (all 148 of them!). Next was shopping for presents, gathering boxes for shipping, and starting to wrap! During my Christmas expedition…I stopped in Anthropologie to pick up a few gifts. I came out, of course, with a couple gifts for myself (and Cliff obviously!).
I have a weird weakness for mugs. I just picture myself every morning (rolling out of bed looking amazing, of course) with my adorable mug..sipping some delicious, hot coffee…feeling good about the day ahead of me. How could I resist these beauties!
After my day of checking things off my list, it was time to hit the gym. Today, I wanted to focus mostly on cardio. So, I did some cardio interval training with ab exercises mixed in. Here was the torture plan for the day:
- Plank for 3 minutes-1 minute at a time
- Running 15 minutes. Going back and forth between sprinting 1 minute at level 8.5, and running at level 6.3. I burned about 175 calories, my pace was 7:28, and the distance was 2.00 miles.
- Side crunches-I did 3 sets of 15. Here is a video demonstration of side crunches.
- Crunches on Swiss Ball- 3 sets of 15. These are basically normal crunches, just sitting on a swiss ball to make it more challenging.
- Running 15 minutes. I did the same sprint/run routine as before. This time around at the end of the 15 minutes, I kept running at a 6.3 speed until I hit 3 miles. In total, I ran 23 minutes, went 3.03 miles, at a 7:33 pace, and burned 262 calories.
- Swiss Ball Jackknife- These are a good total body workout. You feel them in your shoulders, core, and hip flexors. I did 1 set of 15, then 2 more sets of 10. By this point, I was pretty tired. Here’s an example of jackknifes.
That was my workout for today! The sprint/run intervals were definitely challenging. They’re a good way to mix things up if you’re used to running the same pace and distance all the time.
After my workout, I made myself a shake. I tried this drink the other day at Whole Foods that had a supplement powder in it called Green SuperFood. It’s a powder made up of all kinds of green ingredients such as: wheat grass, barley grass, alfalfa, spirulina, chlorella, spinach, and broccoli (to name a few). I know, it sounds totally disgusting…it was also chocolate flavored. Which may sound even more disgusting. Surprisingly, it tasted pretty good.
So, I ordered some on Amazon. Today’s shake included the SuperFood, a little peanut butter, frozen bananas, chocolate soy milk, chia seeds, and water.
It was pretty good. I like the taste of the powder. It has a very cocoa-y flavor which tastes great with the banana and peanut butter.
I’ll be back later tonight on a post about dinner. Now, I have some reading to do! My friend Tracie (the great Yogini) sent me Amy Sedaris’ book “I Like You,” and I got my new Oxygen magazine in the mail. Oh, and of course, Dexter season finale! Big night tonight! 🙂