Well, I finally managed to convince my husband to go to the gym with me. There was no running involved so I think that helped. I did suggest we run to the gym…but we walked…at a fast pace :). He hasn’t hit the gym in quite a while (he’s a very busy man!) but he still wanted to jump right in and tackle a Crossfit workout. I must say, I like his style. Forget the machines or the standard 3 sets of 15 weight lifting….he wanted some serious “I think I’m gonna throw up” exercise. So, we settled on a Crossfit…here was the workout:
- 70 Burpees– Alright, there is no way that I would be able to do 70 burpees in a row, with no resting. But, I tried (and so did the hubs) to do as many as I could with no rest. We did a classic burpee, no pushup involved. Don’t worry the pushups came later :). Here’s a video showing how burpees are done (this video shows it with a pushup. If you feel the need to do some pushups, by all means, go for it!):
- 60 Situps– These were just regular old situps, not crunches, but full blown situps. These actually weren’t too bad. I can’t do them properly with my hands behind my head so I cross them in front of me. I try to keep my feet on the ground but that gets kind of hard too after oh, 40 reps!
- 50 Kettle-bell Swings– We actually didn’t use kettle bells (couldn’t find any). So, I used a 15lb. weight and swung one arm at a time. I placed the other arm behind my back. With this exercise, it’s really important to keep your back straight (no hunching!). Here’s a video showing how to properly do this with a kettle-bell:
- 10 Pullups- So, this was supposed to be 40 pullups…but I can barely do 1 let alone 40. I didn’t use the assisted pullup machine (couldn’t find that either!). So, the hubby helped me with my pullups. Honestly, I was not feelin’ these. I probably could have pushed out a couple more (with his help) but really just didn’t want to.
- 30 Pushups– 30 pushups was like cake at this point! Well, not really…but almost! I did 15 full pushups (no girlie ones here), then took a break, then 15 more.
It was a pretty good workout! I could have stopped after the 70 burpees and been good to go. The hubs made it through too…although he was starting to feel a little sick from a turkey burger he had for lunch. I’m sure those burpees did not help his situation. It’s funny because we always assume the Crossfit’s are quick and painful…but sometimes the pain gets dragged out. 70 burpees definitely takes longer than you (by you, I mean me) think…
What’s your favorite type of workout?