So, today is June 1st, (I don’t know if you guys noticed or not), but ya, I think it’s safe to say that it’s officially summer. It’s also officially time for my June budget to kick in! That includes small trips to the store too. By small, I mean my quick trip to Trader Joe’s today to pick up some snacks for our trip, as well as a few items for the house (by house, of course I mean hotel/extended stay/senior living place).
My goal for today’s run was to keep it under 15 dollars, so I still technically have around 53 dollars (if I need it) for the remainder of the week. Of course, the less money I spend the better!
Here’s what $13.20 bought me today:
Luna bars, Snapea Crisps, eggs, seaweed snacks, and 3 greek yogurts! You can see what items are a little pricier than others..
I noticed a few habits of mine while cruising TJ’s today. The first of which was: I don’t check prices often. That’s obviously going to be an issue if I’m trying to stay under a certain amount of money. I actually picked up some items today, then reminded myself of my $15 goal and went back to check the prices. That is a habit I wish I would have picked up long ago….but it’s just so much more fun to forget about it! 🙂
The second thing I noticed, which I’m sure happens to most people, is I stray big time off the list, especially when I’m hungry! I know they say to never go to the grocery store when you’re hungry and that is so true! It’s like torture walking through a store filled with delicious goodies when you’re starved. I usually lack self control when I’m in that situation so I buy all sorts of random items. Not today folks! Well, that’s not entirely true, I bought one thing that was not on my list! It was totally worth it!
Those snapea snacks are majorly addicting!
Anyway, not only is this June budget challenge a good thing for my wallet, but also good going forward. Hopefully, it will make me a little more aware of grocery prices and the difference in your receipt when you don’t stick to your list!
We’re headed to Colorado tomorrow for a wedding in Telluride this weekend. I know we just had a holiday, but I’m pretty excited to leave again (sorry Cleveland)! I’ve been daydreaming big time lately about laying in the sun….possibly on a beach (I realize this has nothing to do with Colorado..but close enough!)…possibly with a beer in my hand…doesn’t that sound so relaxing? I miss those summer’s lounging with my friends in San Diego…temporarily livin’ the dream.
I downloaded a couple songs for our trip this weekend just to keep that sweet mental state. Here are a couple of my favorites!
- Any Sublime these days. Especially “April 26, 1992“- mostly because he yell’s “Cleveland, Ohio!” Another one I like is “Doin’ Time,” and “Badifsh.” To me, Sublime’s music just represents summer…especially summer on the beach ahhhh love it!
- The Dirty Heads– “Lay Me Down.” I am obsessed with this song right now. It has such a great, low key beat but somehow still makes me wanna dance.
- Cage the Elephant– “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.” This song just has such a badass feel to it. It’s basically how I feel too….money don’t grow on trees! Maybe I’ll start livin’ the life of the wicked.
- Madcon– “Beggin‘.” I heard this song for the first time during a Turbo Kick class I used to take while living in Chicago. It’s a good one that’ll make you wanna dance!
- Mumford and Sons-“Little Lion Man.” I love a good ol’ Irish song. I don’t know if this is technically Irish but it sounds like it…which is good enough for me!
What songs or bands take you away to the beach? I’ll need a couple more songs to get me through the summer :).