I have a favorite new side dish: mashed cauliflower. I first caught wind of mashed cauliflower when it started to circulate in the Paleo/low carb world. I tried it a couple years ago and, looking back, put way too much liquid in it resulting in cauliflower soup. It was good, but not really what I was looking for. Well, I decided to give it another shot and am so glad I did!
it might sound a little intimidating at first but it really is so easy. Trust me, I’m super lazy and I’ve made it three times in the past two weeks.
Easy Mashed Cauliflower
(can be paleo, vegan, and gluten free)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp butter (can use ghee, coconut oil, or vegan substitute)
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk (can use almond milk)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- dash of garlic powder (to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
first, cut up your cauliflower into florets. Next, steam it either in a steamer or the microwave.
Once it’s steamed, just throw everything into the food processor (or blender) and blend until it has a mashed potato-like consistency.
Yum!! Try it, I swear you will like it!
Here are a couple variations to try:
- Roast some garlic cloves and add to the mash
- Add rosemary or other spices
- Use half and half for a creamier mash
- Lighten up cals by using skim milk and a little olive oil
- Try only coconut: coconut milk and coconut oil
- Add cheese! Parmesan is good….but so is every cheese in the history of cheese so you can’t go wrong!
- Use a potato masher for a chunkier mash
Leave a Reply