I’ve made this dish twice in the last week. That is how much I like it! I made it the first time with ground turkey and the second with elk but feel free to use whatever ground meat you have on hand!
One of the reasons I like this recipe so much is because it’s easy to make it your own. You can add whatever vegetables you want, use whatever meat you have, and serve it on anything: lettuce wraps, rice, spinach, whatever!!
Here’s what I used:
Asian Elk/Turkey Stir Fry
- 1 lb. ground meat
- 1 small onion chopped up
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots chopped up
- 1 can of mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 can of water chestnuts, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp of fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Tamari/soy sauce/coconut aminos (<– if strict Paleo or Whole30)
- handful of cilantro
- handful of cashews, roughly chopped
- Optional: broccoli slaw. She used the slaw in the stir fry. I didn’t use it at all the first time I made it but the second time I just heated it up and served the meat over it. I like it crunchy so I just wanted to heated up.
(I also used a red bell pepper the first time I made it. Again, whatever veggies you want!).
First, I cooked the onion and garlic for a couple minutes. Then I added the meat and let it cook until it was mostly brown (not pink). Then I added the rest of the ingredients (except the cashews and cilantro). So easy!
Once everything was cooked, I added the cashews and cilantro and cooked for a couple more minutes. That’s it!
I sauteed the broccoli slaw for a couple minutes in water.
I love a little crunch in my food! Texture, baby!
I added a little bit of orange because, why not? It’s pretty :).
I just want to point out what my 2 year old daughter ate:
That’s an unbelievably delicious tortilla from Costco and cheddar cheese. Why is Brooke rubbing it in my face!? It took all the willpower in the world not to snatch dinner from my innocent 2 year old.
I’ll do an update this week on how I’m feeling so far eating Paleo. Each day seems to present challenges…some are better, some are worse. Only 3 more weeks!!! (That sounds like a lifetime by the way).