** This review is my personal opinion of this product. Flapjacked did NOT send me items to review. I just like talking about fun, new, products out there! :)**
*One more disclaimer: I’ve only tried the chocolate, apple cinnamon, and maple pumpkin flavor*
I’ve been buying these Flapjacked Mighty Muffins now for a couple of months. There are tons of things I love about them…and a few things I don’t. So, I’ll share my thoughts!
What are Mighty Muffins?
Have you seen mug cakes/muffins? I feel like they were a rage for a couple of years there…as they should be! What a brilliant idea. In case you don’t know what I’m talking about, there were recipes for mug cakes popping up all over the place. A mug cake is basically a single serve piece of cake (yes, the size of your mug). You throw together a few ingredients, mix in your mug, microwave, then eat it up! They are awesome when you need some dessert in your life, but don’t want a whole cake in your house. Anyway, Mighty Muffins are basically mug cakes (or muffins in this case).
They pack way more nutrition though! Mighty Muffins are gluten free, high protein, high fiber, and super easy to make. The muffins typically pack around 200-240 calories, 20 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of sugar.
I love the high protein count. The other thing I love about these muffins is how quickly you cook them. All you do is add a little water (very little. There’s a line that shows you) then microwave for 35 seconds. That’s it. You could take these anywhere and cook them. So easy!
They come in 6 flavors: double chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, cinnamon apple, peanut butter, maple pumpkin, and s’mores. (I’ve only tried double chocolate, maple pumpkin, and cinnamon apple).
In case you don’t have time to read any of those paragraphs, I’ll break down my pro’s and con’s:
- Nutrition Facts: protein: 20 grams, fiber: 5 grams, calories: 220, sugar: 8 grams
- Added probiotics to aid in gut health/overall immunity. I don’t know the details on their patented strain of probiotics, but I’m sure they couldn’t hurt.
- Take 35 seconds to cook.
- The taste! Maple Pumpkin is the bomb. Seriously. I thought it would taste kind of funky and artificial, but it’s really very tasty. I think I like the apple cinnamon better than the chocolate which surprises me. Chocolate is good, but I love getting those bites of cinnamon sweetness.
- Price: I’ve been buying a pack of them (6) from Amazon at $21.99. That comes out to $3.66 a muffin. On their site, I don’t see the 6 pack only 4 or 12. They are slightly cheaper there. Vitamin Shoppe sells them too, but I believe only single muffins at $3.39. So, yeah, they’re not cheap.
- Adding the right amount of water is crucial: So, this might be user error….I admit, it’s possible. There is a line on the side of the cup showing you where to add water to. Clearly, sometimes I’ve gone over this and am basically left with sort of a doughy mess. That’s a bummer..considering the cost I just told you about. I usually eat it anyway because I’m gross. 🙂 Every now and then too, I notice too little water? The muffins can be a little dry. Overall though, they’re good.
I like these Mighty Muffins although I have to control my consumption since they are pricey. I usually save them for a busy morning when I want something quick or an after snack when I’m madly craving chocolate.
I may or may not continue to buy them. I’d love to keep them around, I’m just not sure it makes sense given the cost.
Have you tried Flapjacked Mighty Muffins? Anyone try the other flavors? Thoughts?